The clickTRUE BlogInsights on Search, SEO, Social Media, Analytics, Conversions and more.
Tips for Effective Meta Description Tagging
Intern at clickTRUE! Currently a student from SMU majoring in Information Systems and Marketing. Happily curious about how the various strategies that can be used to market companies effectively online, espeically through SEO. Other interests includes Wakeboarding, Sailing and Reading.
Search Engine Optimisation is about improving the visibility of your webpage on search engines, to generate traffic to your websites. One way of improving traffic to your site is through meta description tagging.
- Using a maximum of 155 characters. Any character beyond this limit would be truncated, which may cause important information to be omitted.
- Include primary keywords in the description, where possible.
- Avoid repetitive keywords in description. It results in a description that does not make grammatical sense, making it un-natural, and difficult to read.
- Tease to please. Having teasers in your description would entice people to click on your link. Include action verbs like ‘read’, ‘learn’, ‘discover’, ‘find’ to encourage people to click on your link to read more.
- Use the name of your page in description. This allows higher relevancy in your page description in searches.
- Use quality and relevant descriptions. Having descriptions that give a concise representation of your page content gives searchers a clear idea of what the page contains. This allows them to judge whether the page would be relevant to what they are searching for.
- Use unique descriptions for different pages.
- Do away with symbols. They are not helpful, and simply a waste of space.